Room To Breathe

This is my place to share stories and anecdotes about my superficially mundane life. It's my space to vent, where I can figuratively dance for joy and give virtual hugs. It's a nook where I can unload heavy emotions and express other overwhelming baggage... good and bad. This is my room to breathe.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, March 26, 2007

Facing "An Inconvenient Truth"

The DVD of "An Inconvenient Truth" has been sitting in my DVD drawer for days before I got around to watching it. As usual, I've been using my hectic schedule as an excuse to procrastinate. I had to force myself to watch it last Friday since my movie queue was getting longer on Netflix and won't budge unless I start watching the movies that I already have with me.

This documentary blew me away! Despite my meager, and maybe misinformed, impression of Al Gore as a caricature of a politician, his edited presentation on the environment just floored me. He was clear and concise, and he used just the right touch of humor in his presentation. He brought the issue of global warming and its effects in terms that everybody could relate to in hopes that each listener will be propelled into action. And that's where I am right now. I am propelled into action.

I encourage EVERYONE to watch this documentary, from the cynics to the environmental activists. It's disconcerting to see that, like it or not, we all are contributing to global warming. To enjoy the level of convenience that most of us have, we are slowly wreaking havoc on earth. At the end of the day, Al Gore is correct in saying that global warming and its adverse effects shouldn't be considered a political issue, rather, it has become a moral issue.

What fascinated me to the documentary is not its "doom and gloom" slideshow. Rather, it is the hope that we still have that time window to stall the continued onslaught to the environment. And that maybe someday, we can even reverse it. Now, more than ever, I am more vigilant about recycling and conserving energy. I use CFL bulbs on most of my light fixtures (I can't use them on totally enclosed fixtures and those on dimmers). I'm setting my thermostat even lower on the cold season and warmer this summer. Even long before, DH and I have promised ourselves to buy energy-efficient appliances. Hopefully, my family and I will lessen our impact on the environment, or at least, have a more positive impact to it.

I guess that the next steps for me will be inquiring about alternative sources of energy (wind power?) that our energy company can provide, and how much more expensive it's going to be. Let's face it, money is still an issue especially for us. But I guess that if it won't be significantly more expensive, I'll be switching to it if it's available... or once it becomes available.

Ultimately, I think than more than a temporary spurt of passion for the environment, it should be a way of life. Saving the earth should be ingrained in all our actions. In the end, we ourselves will be less wasteful and more conscious of what we bring in. Al Gore said this towards the end of his presentation, Future generations may well have occasion to ask themselves, "'What were our parents thinking? Why didn't they wake up when they had a chance?' We have to hear that question from them, now."

Please, do your part. Save the only home that we have. For ourselves. And for our children to come.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home