Room To Breathe

This is my place to share stories and anecdotes about my superficially mundane life. It's my space to vent, where I can figuratively dance for joy and give virtual hugs. It's a nook where I can unload heavy emotions and express other overwhelming baggage... good and bad. This is my room to breathe.

Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, September 16, 2006

For the Love of Reading

My hubby and I may have different interests and preferences over a lot of things, but I am very happy to note that we share the same love for reading. Granted that his tastes run more towards sci-fi while mine veers towards romance and/or mysteries, it's still rather nice to spend quiet time together reading.

Unfortunately, in the past couple of years, the times that I've indulged myself to a good novel have been very few and far in between. There just seems to be too much to do rather than settle myself down and lap on a book. Unlike my DH, I cannot seem to enjoy a novel by reading snippets of it at a time. I need to read at least three or four chapters to enjoy myself or else the pleasure of reading is soured a bit. Thus, during our "reading moments" (usually right before bedtime), I just content myself with leafing through various magazines. Not that there's anything wrong with passing my time getting updated with the different trends and news stories outside my cocoon, but sometimes, I miss the escape that a good novel brings me. I also miss gnawing on a good story line and caring for characters as if they really exist.

So now that AT will almost be two years old, I decided that it's time to bring back some old pleasures even if they have become indulgences. Honestly, I also think that I need to stretch my brain muscles a bit too. I'm afraid my brain cells are dying off much faster than anticipated. That's why I invited myself to our neighborhood's book club.

You read it right. I didn't wait for somebody to approach me and ask if I was interested in joining their book club. I walked up to my neighbor/friend, DR, and asked if they were open to additional members. Hey, there were only four of them who are originally in the book club, so I figured that adding myself to the group would not be a lot to ask for. So DR, ever gracious as always, welcomed me to join. It turns out there are four of us girls who want in. Now, I don't feel THAT bad about imposing, hahaha!

So, the way this book club works is that a novel/book is chosen for the month and it will be discussed over dinner at the end of each month. No scholarly interpretations necessary, just inputs on how the story relates to us personally. Heck, a chance to read and a qualified girls' night out (luckily, I know or at least have met all the other girls on the "expanded" club... and they're all very nice), I just can't wait to get started! Anyway, the book for October is The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. The novel has mixed reviews online, but it's mostly good. Since it's a newly-released novel, I won't be able to borrow it from the library. I'd have to purchase the book, which might turn out to be a bummer if I end up not liking the book. No matter, I still can't believe how excited I am to join something as nerdy as a book club. In time, I'll be gushing over playing bridge and Bingo! I've really come a long way, baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home