Room To Breathe

This is my place to share stories and anecdotes about my superficially mundane life. It's my space to vent, where I can figuratively dance for joy and give virtual hugs. It's a nook where I can unload heavy emotions and express other overwhelming baggage... good and bad. This is my room to breathe.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fourth Quarter's New Beginnings

My Boy's Back in School

I never thought that I'd say this so soon, but I am glad that AJ is back to school! Granted that he's only in preschool and just goes thrice a week --- at two and half hours per day --- it feels good to fall back to a rhythm that I seem to have gotten used to this past schoolyear.

Two and a half hours may seem too short, but I can squeeze a lot into them. I can easily jampack most of my household chores in that time. Put first batch of laundry into the machine, fix my kids' rooms, vacuum the house, unload the dishwasher, put first batch of laundry into the dryer and put next batch in, set the meat for dinner in the fridge to defrost, grab my daughter AT to then fetch AJ from school. Whew! Quite a mouthful! By the time we get back home from preschool, I just reheat the previous night's dinner for our lunch then let the children play a bit before AT's afternoon nap. I seem to have my routine down pat, don't I?

This past summer was just chaotic with one week trailing the other with seemingly no sense of rhythm. Now, I'm really not too stodgy about routines, in fact, I pride myself into being the more spontaneous parent. However, with any sense of routine thrown out of whack, the chores I listed above would simply be impossible to do in a day! So we all ended up eating leftovers more times than I care to count and living in a complete dishevelled home in clothes that don't exactly match.

Anyway, school's back and thank the holy angels for that!

It's also a good time for AT and me to have our own time together. Poor AT, she's had to share me with her brother most of the time that she hardly knows what to do when she has my full attention. But this girl is a trooper! Even while I do my listed chores above, she often happily goes her own way. AJ at the same age? A total Post-it to me... wouldn't let me out of his sight. So while AJ is in school and AT's with me, I also carve out some time where she's in the spotlight. And this girl is loving it!


Getting My Butt Off the Couch

Having miserably failed at my 9 0' clock diet, I'm now dragging my butt to the gym at least twice a week. If the local YMCA had it in their shedule, I would be doing yoga everyday. Unfortunately for me, this isn't so. And even more unfortuanate, even if that happened, yoga still wouldn't melt my flabs away. So every now and then, I try to squeeze in some aerobic exercise in between. "Try" is the operative term here because I'm really not that motivated to just sweat for a whole hour. The reason why I don't consider yoga as working out is because I feel relaxed afterwards, but spinning? I usually have to crawl my way out of the gym by the time it's over!

Alas, I have no reason to whine. My hubby is even more diligent with working out than I am! To boot, he's lost at least fifteen pounds already, while I have lost... zilch. I know that I have to get a move on! Is it a defeatist attitude to just give up trying since the holidays are coming up and I'll be storing in more calories anyway? Somebody help me! I need a good kick in the ass!


AT's Going to be an "Ate" Soon

My younger sister is due to give birth anytime soon (who knows, she might already be in labor as I'm writing this). This means that AT will be called "Ate" (older sister, or a respectful way of addressing an older person). My kids will have cousins! Even up to now, this sounds too sureal for me. One more smack in my head reminding me how I'm truly a grown up. The world is no longer solely mine to conquer, but is mine to nurture for the next generation. Sigh!

Wish that we'd be in the Philippines to see my new nephew. Gosh, I miss home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home